Dear Montevideo Families,
Happy November! I want to put a few things on your radar:
Meet San Ramon Valley Unified School District’s new Superintendent Rick Schmitt at our “Coffee with the Superintendent” on November 9, 2016 at 8:30 am in our MPR. At this coffee, the Superintendent will share a little about his priorities, the District’s “Framework for Excellence” and his philosophy. What Mr. Schmitt most appreciates is hearing from parents, as one of his priorities is two-way communication.
Our school-wide Read Aloud for November and December is Same, Same but Different, a lovely story about understanding and embracing cultural differences.Please remember to ask your students about this story and their conversations with teachers in class.It should spark great family conversations about the importance of appreciating diversity.
Be on the look for engaging math strategies across all grade levels! We are continuing our work with Math Guru, Kim Sutton, this year. Her teaching strategies are often in the form of games and incorporate music to get kids excited about “playing” with numbers. Here are her six guiding principles for math:
- ALL math is based on patterns.
- The language of mathematics is spoken here. (Teach students the use of mathematics terms early.)
- Math is filled with constants. (2 x 1 will always be 2 x 1)
- There are no accidents in math.
- Math is the pursuit of laziness. (Teach them the long way first. Once they get that, teach them the short cut.)
- Mathematics teaches the power to persevere.
That’s all for now. Hopefully you made it to the bottom of this letter. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your families, if I don’t see you before the break.
Your Principal in Service,